About the Model 10DS
The Conn 10D provides control and focus with the flexibility of sound needed in chamber and symphonic settings. The horn features a Geyer Style wrap, small throat bell for outstanding response and flexibility.
The Conn 10DS provides control and focus with the flexibility of sound needed in chamber, solo and orchestral settings. The horn features a Geyer style wrap that allows ease of slurs throughout all registers as well as outstanding response and flexibiliy. The small throat, yellow brass bell creates a more compact, brighter sound. The detachable bell offers convenience with a compact case as well as the ability to change flares. Other features include a reversible 4th rotor and adjustable thumb spatula to accomodate different hand sizes.
Conn "Symphony" - Key of F/Bb, .468" bore, Geyer wrap, 12" small throat yellow brass screw bell, yellow brass mouthpipe, branches and slide crooks, nickel silver slide tubes, tapered rotors and bearings, all string linkages, reversible 4th rotor, adjustable thumb spatula, clear lacquer finish, Conn 7BW mouthpiece, 7708DS fabric covered bag case.
Charles Gerard. Conn was the patriarch of musical instrument manufacturing in Elkhart, Indiana. In 1873, following a bar fight brawl that resulted in a split lip, C.G. Conn developed a brass mouthpiece with a rubber rim. Conn, converted an old sewing machine to a lathe and set-up a shop building these mouthpieces. In 1875, a French instrument maker named Dupont began repairing instruments in Conn’s shop. After watching him work for a few days, Conn believed he could build his own instrument. In that same year, Colonel Conn would build the first American made cornet.
By 1879, Conn moved operations into larger quarters and began making other instruments. In 1880, the town of Elkhart, Indiana became so enamored with C.G. Conn that they elected him Mayor. During his second term, he was forced to resign due to a factory fire in 1883. The factory was rebuilt bigger and better and production continued. By 1893 his instruments were accorded the highest honors in the World’s Columbia Exposition in Chicago.
The Colonel loved strange and bizarre instruments. In 1907, he built an immensaphone, the largest horn in the world at 12 feet in diameter and 35 feet long. Conn also continued on a series of “firsts”, building the first American made saxophone and the first sousaphone, built to John Philip Sousa’s specifications.
In 1915 Conn retired and the company was purchased by Carl Grenleaf. The business was renamed C.G. Conn Ltd. During this era, Carl Greenleaf began the National School Band Movement. In 1923, Greenleaf established the first National Band Contest in Chicago, and the Conn National School of Music in Chicago. In 1928, he supported the National Music Camp at Interlochen, Michigan.
The company flourished until the Second World War. In 1942, the factory retooled to manufacture compasses, altimeters, and other items related to the war effort. During this time, many of Conn’s dealers turned to smaller instrument makers who were allowed to manufacture instruments on a limited basis. Coming out of wartime production, Conn found difficulty regaining its position as the number one band instrument maker.
In 1969, the Greenleaf family sold the business to Crowell-Collier MacMillan, a publishing company. Manufacturing of Conn instruments was split between Nogales, Arizona and Abilene, Texas and the Elkhart factory was sold to the Selmer Company.
In the 80’s through a series of mergers, C.G. Conn Ltd was combined with Slingerland Drum Company, Artley, Scherl & Roth, and several other musical instrument manufacturers and distributors to eventually form United Musical Instruments (UMI).
Locate a Store Nearest You
Enter a city, state, postal code or country